When making changes to your life, “they” say you should make small changes a little at a time to make permanent changes you can keep throughout your life. So that is what I am going to do, slowly change my life so that I can be a healthier happier me. By “they,” I of course mean the media, all forms of media. Pop small changes in any search engine and you will see what I mean. So this is the first advice I am going to follow. I am going to start with the smallest change=water.
Now the advice on water is unbelievably extensive. Here are only a few of the things I have read.
1. You should drink 8 glasses of water a day
2. You should drink cold water so that your body has to burn calories to warm it up.
3. You should drink hot water so that you can then drink the cold and then shock your system and burn more calories heating it up.
4. Tepid water is best.
5. Part of the water should come from your diet. Fruits should be consumed for their water value like watermelon, cantaloupe, and grapes.
6. Mayo clinic and the institute of medicine says for women 2.2 liters (9 cups)
7. Other sources say you don’t have to have so much water
There are many more pieces of advice on water consumption. I am going old school with eight glasses day and try for the Mayo clinic’s recommendation. I have already been trying this week. You would think this piece of advice would be the easiest to follow. It is the only one not based in restricting yourself. However, it is harder than it sounds. I only drank a liter of water, a glass of milk and a cup of tea. So I got kind of close. It is hard to remember when you are tethered to a computer for 8 hours. Today I am going to bring a jug. I am going to work on remembering. I don’t like tepid water. I don’t really believe that cold water burns calories, but I just like it better. I also like hot tea so just in case I will drink both hot tea and ice water.
Does anyone know any other advice out there on water?